United States Tax Court
Women’s Business Enterprise (WBE)
Honors and Awards
• Recipient, Philadelphia VIP Champion Award, Community and Economic Development, 2016
• Recipient of the Swarthmore Rotary Club 2014-2015 Community Service Award
• Selected as a 2012 "Lawyer on the Fast Track" by The Legal Intelligencer
• Named to the Pro Bono Honor Role by the First Judicial District of Pennsylvania for pro bono work with Philadelphia VIP LawWorks
• Named "Philadelphia VIP Volunteer of the Month" for the month of August 2010
• Selected as a "Pennsylvania Rising Star" by Philadelphia Magazine and Law & Politics Magazine (2006, 2007, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016)
• Member, Moot Court Executive Board, Villanova University School of Law
• Winner, Best Brief, National Juvenile Law Moot Court Competition
• Member, Phi Beta Kappa, Lehigh University
Selected Articles / Publications
• Author, “Understanding the Risks of Lobbying and Political Activities for Nonprofit Organizations,” The Pennsylvania Lawyer magazine (September/October 2016)
• Author, “Pennsylvania Nonprofit Organizations and the Recent Child Protective Services Law Amendments,” (May 2015)
• Author, “Good Governance: Policies Every Estate Planner Needs to Know to Ensure Successful and Compliant Private Family Foundations,” Philadelphia Estate Planning Council (January 2013)
• Author, “Prepare Your Nonprofit for the Future by Ensuring Good Governance Policies,” ExecSense (September 10, 2012)
• Author, “Helping Others Helps You,” Law Practice Magazine (July/August 2012)
• Author, "The ABCs of Nonprofit Organization General Counsel Issues," The Legal Intelligencer (March 7, 2012)
• Author, “Reasons to Join Nonprofit Boards and Concerns to Address,” The Legal Intelligencer (April 5, 2012)
• Author, "New Proposed Accredited Investor Standard for the SEC," Chartered Financial Analyst Society of Philadelphia Newsletter (March 2011)
• Author, "$84 Million for Pennsylvania Charter Schools Under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009," Education Practice Alert (March 2009)
• Author, "Education Foundations: The Competitive Edge Every Public School District Needs," (December 9, 2008)
Selected Speaking Engagements / Presentations
• Panelist, “Ethics and Technology,” Thirty-First Annual Seminar and Meeting, Pennsylvania Association of Bond Lawyers (May 24, 2018)
• Panelist, “Legal Insights (Not Advice),” Not-For-Profit Conference, Pennsylvania Institute of CPAs (May 15, 2018)
• Panelist, “How to Start and Run a Nonprofit,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute (October 11, 2017)
• Panelist, “Top Five Ethical Issues Nonprofits Face and How to Avoid Them,” Philadelphia Bar Association (September 27, 2017
• Speaker, “Nonprofit Legal Assessment Clinic,” Philadelphia VIP (July 17, 2018, September 28, 2017, September 28, 2016, July 14, 2016, July 31, 2015, and July 29, 2014)
• Speaker, “Governance and Ethical Issues for Nonprofit Board Leaders,” Philadelphia Bar Association (September 13, 2016)
• Panelist, “Good Governance for Nonprofits,” Philadelphia (October 20, 2015) and Lansdale (October 29, 2015)
• Speaker, "Effectively Fulfilling Your Tax Obligations," The Nonprofit Center at La Salle University’s School of Business (April 14, 2015)
• Panelist, "The Business of Culture: Nonprofit vs. For-profit Model ," Philadelphia Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts (October 23, 2014)
· Panelist, "Obligations of Board Trustees," Annual Endowment and Foundation Conference, CFA Society of Philadelphia (June 12, 2014)
• Speaker, “Not-for-Profit and Education: State of the Industry,” Fox Rothschild and CohnReznick (November 12, 2013)
• Speaker, “Continuing Disclosure Obligations of 501(c)(3) Organizations,” Fox Rothschild, BNY Mellon and Philadelphia Authority for Industrial Development, Philadelphia, PA (November 7, 2013)
• Panelist, “Annual Endowment and Foundation Conference,” CFA Society of Philadelphia (June 6, 2013)
• Panelist, "Community Service and Pro Bono Work by Women Attorneys," Philadelphia Bar Association Women in the Profession Committee, (July 26, 2011)
• Speaker, "Importance of Philadelphia VIP and the 30 for 30 Challenge," Philadelphia Bar Association , Philadelphia, PA (June 27, 2011)
As a corporate attorney focusing on individuals, businesses, and nonprofit organizations, I have extensive experience counseling clients on corporate policies, best practices, and corporate governance. I have served as outside general counsel to numerous nonprofit organizations, including colleges, universities, charter schools, and foundations. In this capacity, I advise boards of directors, executive management, and administrators on fiduciary duties, contract issues, compliance concerns, and general corporate reviews. With my background in management consulting, I also work with these individuals, businesses and nonprofit organizations to ensure that these contracts, policies, and procedures are implemented and are effective.
In the public finance capacity, I have served as bond, borrower, institution, and underwriter's counsel to clients, including issuers, colleges, universities, schools, health care institutions, state agencies and investment banking firms. My practice includes advising these clients with the issuance, offering, structuring, remarketing, and restructuring of tax-exempt and taxable municipal securities and other debt instruments. My firm is listed as a member on the Pennsylvania Office of General Counsel's general pool of qualified bond counsel firms.
As a real estate attorney, I work with clients during all stages of the transaction from contract negotiation, drafting agreements of sale, and financing.
I received my JD from Villanova University School of Law and my BA in Political Science and International Relations from Lehigh University.
In addition to practicing law, I teach the Law and Ethics class for the La Salle University Masters of Science in Nonprofit Leadership program.
I am also very involved in my community. Recognizing a need to enhance public education, I founded the Foundation for Wallingford-Swarthmore Schools, a 501(c) (3) nonprofit organization, to raise money and awareness for the teachers and students in the Wallingford-Swarthmore School District. The Foundation works to ensure that teachers and students continue to promote innovation, creativity and excellence, especially in difficult economic times.
Copyright © Law Office of Frannie Reilly, LLC. All rights reserved.